Research has consistently shown a high correlation between employee engagement and organizational productivity. For example, the 2013 Gallup report on The State of the American Workplace: Employee Engagement Insights for U.S. Business Leaders found organizations with employee engagement in the top 25% of all workplaces surveyed “had significantly higher productivity, profitability, and customer ratings, less turnover and absenteeism, and fewer safety incidents than those workplaces in the bottom 25%.” Additionally, organizations with very high levels of employee engagement experienced 147% higher earnings per share and 22% higher profitability compared with their competition in 2011-2012.
We also know that employee engagement is enhanced by a collaborative and cohesive corporate culture, shared values between employees and their leadership, and when leaders and managers exhibit high levels of emotional intelligence. The following 10 leadership behaviors and organizational culture attributes are guaranteed to significantly increase employee engagement thus ultimately building better teams and increasing your bottom line.
- Create a positive, collaborative, and cohesive corporate culture
- Hold immediate supervisors accountable for their employees’ engagement
- Find ways to connect to each and every employee
- Actively let people know they are valued and what they do is important
- Purposely set clear and attainable expectations, but set the bar high
- Deliberately give compliments and recognize accomplishments
- When warranted, give clear, timely, and specific feedback to improve performance
- Find ways to make work fun, engaging, and challenging
- Communicate effectively and frequently
- Ask open-ended questions and listen to what people say without judgment
Organizations can vary from having a highly engaged workforce with a cohesive and healthy corporate culture to a highly disengaged workforce with a toxic corporate culture. Thankfully, employee engagement can be improved and corporate culture can be changed. For insight into the state of your organization’s teamwork and culture, take the free assessment at the following link: http://newpathwaycoaching.com/complimentary-team-assessment-toolkit